vpn

David Gillett dgillett at NIKU.COM
Thu Jun 29 14:37:46 EDT 2000

  Unfortunately, this largely parallels our own experience with Windows 9x
as a VPN client.  We find that \\servername and \\ip.ad.dr.ess work, but
Network Neighborhood generally doesn't.  (If \\servername doesn't work, your
machine may not be receiving a WINS server address from DHCP.)

  [9x VPN clients seem to often have trouble talking to the "browsers" who
maintain the Network Neighborhood lists.  We eventually moved VPN clients to
their own subnet/segment so when they invoke a master browser election, it
doesn't impact the on-site network.]

David Gillett
Enterprise Networking Services Manager, Niku Corp.
(650) 701-2702
"Transforming the Service Economy"

Simpatico
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2000 5:36 AM
To: VPN at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Subject: vpn

I am trying to connect a Win 98 client to my office server via VPN. I
connect through the VPN, I get authenticated and then when I go the network
neighborhood and look to see if the network is showing up but there is
nothing there. I was able to connect when I went to the RUN in the start
menu and type \\[and the ip of my server], but it came up very slowly and I
only had access to the one server I tried to call up other servers the same
way but no other server would respond. I know that things would not come up
as fast as if I was on physically on the network, but I am connecting
through a cable line, so thought that it would be much faster than how it
came up.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

John Simpatico