Routing over PPTP Tunnel

Jeremy Jones (BOI) JJones at NWNETS.COM
Thu Jun 15 11:33:52 EDT 2000

This is a fairly simple thing to do.  The firewall at the Main Office would
need to pass tcp port 1723 and protocol 47 (GRE) to the PPTP Server at the
Main Office.  The server at the Branch Office would make a call to the PPTP
Server at the Main Office, and routes would need to be established at both
sites.  I currently have several clients with such a setup.  One client has
three remote offices connecting via PPTP to a main office, and the
connection is as stable as the Internet connection.  Printing, file sharing,
database replication, and remote backups all work flawlesslly.

Drop me an e-mail, Patrick, if you'd like any details on the setup of the
firewalls, the servers, and the clients.

Jeremy Jones, MA, MCSE, CCNA
Systems Engineer
Northwest Network Services
(208) 343-5260 x106
http://www.nwnets.com
mailto:jjones at nwnets.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Bryan [mailto:pbryan at ACRUX.NET]
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2000 11:05 AM
To: VPN at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Subject: Routing over PPTP Tunnel

Hi there..

Recently I was asked to provide a plan to connect a clients main office to a
branch office  via PPTP.. in a scenario like the following:

Main Office (Net A) ---> PPTP Server --<> Internet <>-- PPTP Server <--
Branch Office (NetB)

Is this possible? The server in the main office is behind a firewall, and is
providing connectivity to individual remote clients. The PPTP Server at the
branch office would be dual homed, one nic to the internet, the other to the
LAN. I am guessing the PPTP Box on netB would establish a connection the
machine on neta. I can see this working, but I am unsure if for example I
wanted to send a print job to a printer on NetB, if the PPTP Server on NetA
would route it over the tunnel? Any input/experiences would be much
appreciated.

Pat