VPN/Firewall recommendation

Stephen Hope SHOPE at DATARANGE.CO.UK
Tue Jun 13 08:56:46 EDT 2000

The Q i would ask first with this is - what will the comms
model you use be?

You ask about VPN, but this is not normally used over F/Relay.

You should only need a firewall at every site for specific
reasons:

1. Paranoia (or security policy etc)
2. Local Internet access (access to Internet, VPN dial in).
3. RAS

Often, the implication of an office with "just" execs, is that
the traffic requirements are simple, and there is no "heavy"
use of networking - this may not apply in your case.

If you dont do any of these, you only need a router.

You can get suitable routers from various vendors (cisco is
normally the default choice, but others such as Nortel exist),
or you can buy an "outsource" style Frame service, which includes
the routers, and remote management etc.

One thing we are seeing a lot of interest in recently is combining
voice and data for small offices - not necessarily for the WAN links
(although that can be an efficient way to reduce cost), but to
allow a single remote site box to give a small PBX, a router,
voicemail etc. Nicest one i have seen is the Nortel Enterprise Edge,
but there are others, such as Lucent Network Alchemy.

As a bonus, a lot of these devices support firewall, VPN etc, but
you may not need that.

Stephen

Stephen Hope C. Eng, Network Consultant, shope at datarange.co.uk,
Datarange Communications PLC, part of Energis, WWW:
http://www.datarange.co.uk
Carrington Business Park, Carrington, Manchester , UK. M31 4ZU
Tel: +44 (0)161 776 4190 Mob: +44 (0)7767 256 180 Fax: +44 (0)161 776
4189

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to
whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of Datarange Communications PLC.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying
of this email is strictly prohibited.

We have an anti-virus system installed on all our PC's and therefore any files
leaving us via e-mail will have been checked for known viruses.
Datarange Communications PLC accepts no responsibility once an e-mail
and any attachments leave us.

If you have received this email in error please notify Datarange Communications
IT department on +44 (0) 1494 476222..