need explanations

Brad Kemp kemp at INDUSRIVER.COM
Mon Jul 10 15:58:22 EDT 2000

Time-sensitivity of encrypted data refers to how long it is important
the data remain encrypted. For instance since some stock quote
vendors sell real-time stock quotes and give away stock quotes
that are delayed 15 minutes, it is important for them that their data
cannot be decrypted in less than 15 minutes.  (Single DES is probobly good
enough for them). Other traffic such as bank transactions need to be
undecipherable for a much longer period of time, therefore a longer key
size is required. With some cyphers a longer key means more CPU cycles needed
to encrypt and decrypt. Other cyphers (mostly stream cyphers) do not have
a penalty associated with longer key sizes.

Brad

At 04:08 PM 7/8/00 +0000, Olivier Bekoin wrote:
>Hello,
>
>when i go to this page (http://www.data.com/article/DCM20000510S0053),
>they write
>something that i don't understand. If you can give more explainations, i
>will
>be very happy
>They  write : "...    and the typical time-sensitivity of the data(which
>determines the key length required)."  I don't understand the part of
>this sentence which is in step 5, third line
>
>thanks
>
>olivier
>
>VPN is sponsored by SecurityFocus.COM

--- -- --
Brad Kemp
Indus River Networks, Inc.                   BradKemp at indusriver.com
31 Nagog Park						 978-266-8122
Acton, MA 01720                              fax 978-266-8111