need explanations

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at COSPO.OSIS.GOV
Mon Jul 10 16:17:56 EDT 2000

On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 04:08:46PM +0000, Olivier Bekoin wrote:
> when i go to this page (http://www.data.com/article/DCM20000510S0053),
> they write
> something that i don't understand. If you can give more explainations, i
> will
> be very happy
> They  write : "...    and the typical time-sensitivity of the data(which
> determines the key length required)."  I don't understand the part of
> this sentence which is in step 5, third line

This article was by Tina Bird!  But she has not yet responded.  I would
guess that this only refers to time sensitivity in real-time
applications.  I.e., you would NOT want to do an encryption that takes
a lot of time on a line monitoring someone's pulse!  On the other hand,
the same computation might be perfectly valid for data that can wait a
minute, e.g., stock quotes, racetrack results, and other like items.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B