Using SSH

Cramer, Matthew Matthew_S_Cramer at ARMSTRONG.COM
Mon Jan 31 15:36:36 EST 2000

For the NT server side, you can install a replacement POSIX subsystem and the
GNU compiler.  My personal favourite is U/WIN from ATT Labs - there is info out
there on getting GCC to work with U/WIN (see the U/WIN users list).  With that,
one could compile SSH and then run it as a service.  I've heard of it done, but
never done it.

NT Client side - there is DataFellows F-Secure, SecureTTY (both commercial), and
PuTTY (free, but does not do RSA auth).

SSH supports more than the algorithms you list - also IDEA (default) and ARCFOUR
(a implementation of RC4 (in theory) published to Usenet).  Those are of course
just the symmetric cryptography; RSA is used for the asymmetric key exchange.
OpenSSH from the OpenBSD folks probably uses Diffie-Hellman for key exchange
(since RSA is patent restricted by US patent law until fall of 2000).

Your statement about location does not make sense - SSH is available from all
sorts of places, .fi and .nl, for example, which are not bound by US Export
restrictions.  Don't download any crypto from us Americans - first of all our
Government needs their head's examined, secondly stronger crypto is available
everywhere else!

From: Saravana Ram <Torx at TM.NET.MY> on 01/30/2000 03:36 AM

Please respond to Saravana Ram <Torx at TM.NET.MY>