Using SSH

H D Moore secure at SECUREAUSTIN.COM
Sun Jan 30 03:41:55 EST 2000

S Ramakrishnan wrote:

> Hello...
>
> I would like to use SSH to grant access to a small set of users to a database server.
> While most of these users use a Linux
> box, some use Windows NT.

Well are you more interested in securing the traffic between the users
and the database server, or restricting access to the database?

> Can SSH be used on an NT box?
> Are there sample blusprints to
> get up and started on SSH based
> access control schemes?

If you just want to encrypt the network traffic, you can setup an SSH
tunnel from a machine on the inside network (unix based) to the database
server's tcp port.  See the -L and -R options for SSH.

> What underlying security protocol is
> SSH based on?

Public/Private keys (see PGP | PKI).

> Any other information (its implementation)
> greatly appreciated.

Access control to the database itself could be implemented via whatever
host/user/db restrictions the database server has built in.  I only have
experience dealing with MySQL, consult the documentation for other
software.

-HD