FW-1 interoperability (was: About compatibility)

David Newman dnewman at NETWORKTEST.COM
Thu Jan 20 19:34:16 EST 2000

> My question is: I have on one side a PIX and, in the other side, a
> Firewall-1. Do someone know whether I can build a VPN between them? If so,
> what protocol should I have to use? Thanks a lot. Help will be
> appreciated.

(snip)

> Yes that is totally possible, both of them support the IPSec Standards,
> based on the draft.

Have you verified this with Firewall-1 and Vendor X's VPN box, both
operating in gateway-to-gateway mode? As of a few months ago, FW-1 version 4
would talk IPSec with other folks' gateways, but only by setting up
individual SAs for each remote host that wanted to communicate. Check Point
said last summer that the next FW-1 release would handle gateway-to-gateway
mode with other vendors' kit, and at least in my experience they've been
good on their word, but I haven't verified this.

dn