Shiva LanRover VPN

Jon Carnes jonc at HAHT.COM
Thu Jan 20 08:07:44 EST 2000

Just a guess, but I would say you need multiple tunnels if you are going to
have multiple endpoints.

For most Tunnels to work, you have to have an ip address on one end, and
another on the other end (same network).  If your Lan Rover is routing the
Tunnels then the addresses for this virtual network are different from your
local LAN addresses.  You need to program your router to send all packets
for the virtual network to your Lan Rover.  Your Lan Rover will have two
addresses: one that is on your local LAN, and another that is used for
Virtual Connections (the end-point of the Tunnels).

If the Lan Rover is bridging the Tunnels, then all the addresses must be
valid for your local LAN.  In this case, I believe the device puts itself
into promiscuous mode and intercepts all packets for attached clients.

In both cases, the Lan Rover needs to have a pool of addresses to hand out
to clients, as they attach to it.  If the device is bridging the Tunnels,
then you can just use a local DHCP server on your network.  If the device is
routing, then you will have set it up with a virtual LAN, like
192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0.  In this case, the Lan Rover would have its local
LAN address and the address 192.168.1.1.  You would enable it hand out
addresses, and then specify that it can hand out the range: 192.168.1.2 thru
192.168.1.254.

I imagine that the Lan Rover works with other protocols and not just TCP/IP.
Most likely it also works with IPX (Novell protocol).  That being the case,
it is possible that you may be using strictly IPX on your LAN and not be
using TCP/IP at all.  This is the only case that I can see in which you
would want to "turn off the Client IP check box".

Hope that helps,

Jon Carnes
MIS - HAHT Software