VPN connectivity using NAT

Jeremy Jones JJones at NWNETS.COM
Mon Jan 10 13:00:35 EST 2000

Depending on what type of VPN connection you're making, you'll need to make
some static nat mappings on the nat router.  For PPTP you'll need to map
protocol 47 (gre) and tcp port 1723 to the ip address of the machine on the
private network making the call to the vpn server.  For other VPNs (like
l2tp, etc), you'll have to find out what protocols and ports it uses.

Jeremy Jones, MA, MCSE, CCNA
Systems Analyst
Northwest Network Services
(208) 343-5260 x106
http://www.nwnets.com
mailto:jjones at nwnets.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Gowri Shankar Bhogisetty [mailto:gowrishankar.setty at WIPRO.COM]
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2000 12:44 AM
To: VPN at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Subject: VPN connectivity using NAT

Hi,

We need to establish a VPN connectivity from our private network to the
remote server ,for that we are using NAT at the internet router to
change the private address to valid internet address .

The address translation is working fine ,but i am not getting the return
packets from the remote server .
I am able to connect with the internet address without using NAT,that
means there is no problem at the server side.
If i use NAT i am getting can't connect to the server from the private
n/w.

Any help on this appreciable.

regards

Gowri Shankar