FW: AOL and VPN's

Schwarz, Tony Schwarz.Tony at PRINCIPAL.COM
Fri Jan 7 09:17:07 EST 2000

We have found similar results with AOL.  Seems that if you use their version
of Internet Explorer that is "built-in" to AOL, their proxy servers don't know
what to do with the VPN traffic because the internal addresses being requested
by the applications are not valid on the Internet.  To get around the problem
we run IE (and other apps) from outside AOL (start AOL, minimize, then start
IE) and it seems to work fine for browser-based VPN functions.  Most of the
apps that we are using are not browser based anyway, so it really is not a
major point to us.

__________________________

Tony L. Schwarz, MBA
IT Analyst - Lead
Principal Life Insurance Company
Retail IS
711 High Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50392
Phone (515) 247-4893
Fax (515) 362-0436
Schwarz.Tony at Principal.com

When life throws you lemons, make lemonade.