AOL and VPN's

Jeffery Eric Contr 95 CS eric.jeffery at EDWARDS.AF.MIL
Wed Jan 5 18:58:32 EST 2000

Have any of you run into a problem with AOL and VPN's.

I've set up a successful VPN with an Altiga C20 concentrator.  I put the
client software on a few test systems with other engineers and we were doing
great.  One of the users has AOL.  He establishes a connection with AOL and
then launches the Client Dialer.  We checked out Firewall logs and the user
doesn't even reach our Firewall.  I believe the data is getting caught by
AOL.

I called their tech support and they were WORTHLESS.  The lady laughed and
said "that is way over my head."  I said cool, escalate me and I'll work it
out with an Engineer.  She said there is no level 2, she was it.  I said
fine, let's pretend I can't FTP, what would you have me do.  She said "does
that have to do with opening a web page?"  Needless to say I am on my own so
I thought I'd chat with you all and see what you ran in to.

Eric Jeffery, MCSE
Network Systems Analyst
TYBRIN Corp.