Linux IP Masq and Nortel Extranet Client

Matt McConnell mmcconnell at COMPATIBLE.COM
Tue Jan 4 12:13:30 EST 2000

Several VPN products (including ours) provide a "NAT compatible" transport
mode using IPSec ESP.  This is a configurable option, very important for
running clients behind many cablemodems, DSL modems, or corporate LAN NAT
devices.

Matt

Matt McConnell
President & CEO
Compatible Systems Corporation
http://www.compatible.com/

Thibodeau, Gregg
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2000 9:01 AM
To: VPN at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Subject: Re: Linux IP Masq and Nortel Extranet Client

The problem is most like with many to one NAT.  IPSEC will not work with
many to one NAT unless the firewall/gateway is specifically designed to
handle this configuration.

IPSEC requires that both source and destination ports used during connection
setup be 500.  Most boxes doing many to one NAT change the source port.  The
Contivity Extranet Switch will not respond to the setup request since the
source port is not 500.  Even after that, the firewall/gateway needs to use
the SAs in the IPSEC traffic running on IP 50 to keep track of the original
source.

The only device that we have found that will support outgoing IPSEC and many
to one NAT is Nortel's Instant Internet.

Gregg