Nortel Contivity

Jeffrey Needle jneedle at NORTELNETWORKS.COM
Sun Jan 2 19:37:02 EST 2000

> 1) I still can't put a name with the company. Is Nortels sales
> organization just paralyzed or do they just not have any sales people? I
> keep offering them money, but they are just not interested.

	If you e-mail me your location and contact details, I'll make sure
it gets
	to the right sales people.  We've definitely got a large sales
force, so it
	sounds like something fell through the cracks.

> 2) Has anyone used the Optivity VPN management software for the Contivity
> line? I can't find much information on it, but it looks promising.

	Not sure, but I think there is a downloadable demo version of the
product.  It's a good addition for managing multiple Contivity platforms.
What specifically were you looking for it to do?

> 3) Any idea why Nortel continues to avoid any magazine tests? I really
> dont care much about the outcome, because those things are usually a bit
> skewed, but the fact that Nortel refuses participation worries me.

	I'm sure you're referring to the recent Network World review where
they slammed us and Cisco for not participating.  The reasons that we gave
the reviewer, as cited in the article, were correct.  We didn't have the
resources to throw at yet another performance test.  As one of the market
leaders, we're always being invited to do some sort of test or other and
they do take quite some time.  The slam by that particular reviewer was
uncalled for.

	If you have any concerns about our scalability or performance, I'd
be happy to address them.  We think our box is pretty good, and we think our
customers believe that as well.

> 4) Any experience with Nortel's support of the product? I am looking for
> both technical support and a variation of Cisco SmartNET.

	From my viewpoint from the engineering team, I think our support is
good.  In the past, the support organization has been resource constrained
and spread thin, but they've recently increased the group of Contivity
experts by over 100%.  But I'll defer the answer to this question to others
who might be less biased :-).

	Jeff