iPlanet Webtop, An Alternative to the traditional VPN

Brent_Jarvis at MITEL.COM Brent_Jarvis at MITEL.COM
Wed Feb 23 17:32:12 EST 2000

Has anyone ever heard of or tried the remote access product offered by iPlanet
(Netscape/SUN Alliance) called Webtop?
>From my understanding it is completely Browser based (creates SSL connections)
and allows remote users to access their companies WEB-Enabled applications
supported by the Webtop server.
(site: http://www.iplanet.com/products/hosting_prod/webtop/index.html)

I thought before I do too much investigation/analysis, I would ask what this
group thinks of the product (or concept).

My first reactions are this is great for the following reasons;
- no client to install or manage
- access anywhere, anytime
- appears to support all major applications (email, file, telnet, other? - not
sure about ERP apps)
- common interface for all application (browser)
- rapid deployment and little effort
- reduces remote access costs (1-800)
- faster access speeds than traditional VPNs?(a guess on my part)

With my security hat on I am concerned about the following issues:
- does not address broadband access security issues
- encourages remote access to your internal network on any computer
- another server and access route to support/manage

Any other thoughts, especially from those who use or have tried it.
Thanks,
      Brent