win2k vpn problem

Luke Renn lrenn at ETCI.COM
Wed Feb 23 12:13:14 EST 2000

Hi all,

I really wish we could just use ipsec for our vpn connections, but I have to
support this damn MS PPTP vpn.. argh.  anyway, I had it working for the past
few months on win2k beta.  it worked ok, a little slow, but it worked.
While i was away on vacaction someone upgraded the machine to the final
release version on win2k server.  Anyway, In the "Ports" part of the Routing
and Remote Access console, there are no longer any entries.  I had this
problem a while back but i can't remember how i got them to come back.  I
disable routing and remote access...rebooted, and reconfigured it, but it
still didn't add the PPTP entries to the "Ports" tree.  Anyone else ever
have this problem?  Know of a fix?  I should probably ask the win2k
newsgroups, but i'd rather ask you guys first :)  I have a working NT based
PPTP vpn that i can just route to, but my superiors want it on 2000.  It
says it running, the service starts fine.  Only symptoms are the lack of all
the VPN ports (in the managment console of RRAS) and tcp 1723 isn't open.
God I hate windows...

Thanks guys,

Luke