VPN clients for Palms/WinCE (fwd)

Donkin, Richard rdonkin at ORCHESTREAM.COM
Tue Feb 22 14:23:44 EST 2000

SSH for the Palm does indeed include RSA (7KB) and DES (28KB) libraries -
however I've not tested SSH so I couldn't tell you how fast they'd be.  More
recent Palm devices run at 16 MHz and are 680x0 (Coldfire) based, so it
wouldn't be very fast...

-----Original Message-----
From: Bennett Todd [mailto:bet at RAHUL.NET]
Sent: 22 February 2000 18:52
To: VPN at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Subject: Re: VPN clients for Palms/WinCE (fwd)

2000-01-18-00:44:16 rodney at tillerman.to:
> There have been various efforts in the area of handheld IPsec
> implementations, most unsucessful.  The problem is that doing
> Diffie-Hellman and RSA is too computationally intensive on a PDA.

I haven't yet tried loading it up and using it, but I'm pretty sure
I read that the ssh client for Palm Pilots was built on a port of
SSLeay to the palm, which would mean that the algorithms are there
and working. It might not run as fast as it does on a desktop or a
server or a router, but it should run; and since the only IP
connectivity off a Palm would be PPP anyway, it may well be able to
keep up for all I know.

What I can't quite figure is whether there'd be any advantage to
using IPsec from a handheld, rather than using ssh, with port
forwarding if needed.

-Bennett