VPN clients for Palms/WinCE (fwd)

Bennett Todd bet at RAHUL.NET
Tue Feb 22 13:52:06 EST 2000

2000-01-18-00:44:16 rodney at tillerman.to:
> There have been various efforts in the area of handheld IPsec
> implementations, most unsucessful.  The problem is that doing
> Diffie-Hellman and RSA is too computationally intensive on a PDA.

I haven't yet tried loading it up and using it, but I'm pretty sure
I read that the ssh client for Palm Pilots was built on a port of
SSLeay to the palm, which would mean that the algorithms are there
and working. It might not run as fast as it does on a desktop or a
server or a router, but it should run; and since the only IP
connectivity off a Palm would be PPP anyway, it may well be able to
keep up for all I know.

What I can't quite figure is whether there'd be any advantage to
using IPsec from a handheld, rather than using ssh, with port
forwarding if needed.

-Bennett