L2F and L2TP

Antony Passemard passemar at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 17 04:47:55 EST 2000

> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Does somebody know where i can find information about the two protocols
>for
> > VPN?
> > I can't find anything about it. Only information about the same options
> > between PPTP and L2TP. But i would like to know how they both work, the
> > protocols L2F and L2TP and what they do.
>
>The protocols are specified in these requests for comments...
>
>L2TP: RFC2661
>L2F : RFC2341
>PPTP: RFC2637
>
>Vasek

The RFC are very complete but often confusing, You should check Cisco's web
site. They have great documentation about L2F and L2TP.

Anyway, I have a question about L2TP.. After reading the documentation I was
confused about the layer this protocol was working on. L2TP means Layer 2
tunneling Protocol, and I always thought it was working at the layer 2,
which was kind of hard to understand though. In fact it seems that L2TP, is
a layer 4 protocol (working with UDP on a specified port), that encapsulates
PPP, therefore creating a tunnel for a layer 2 protocol... What I would like
to know is if I undertood this well???

Anyway, the first POP your accessing from the Internet needs to be L2TP
compliant, as needs to be the POP in the company your accessing.. Between
those two POPs nothing needs to be award of L2TP, because it's working at
the layer 4 (If I understood it right). My problem is the following : How
can you be sure that the first POP your accessing is L2TP compliant? This is
very restrictive I guess.. You can't move all over the world because your
not sure the ISP's POPs will be able to work with L2TP... Am I correct about
that??

Thanks for your answers.

Antony.