<Off Topic> redirecting a port in cisco 1604 using NAT

Dana J. Dawson dana at INTERPRISE.COM
Fri Feb 11 13:05:41 EST 2000

Cliff Friedel wrote:

> Hi all.  Realize that this is a little off topic, but since there are a
> fair number of cisco admins on the list I figured I would ask.  I was
> wondering if there was a way to redirect a port on the BRI interface of
> a 1604, to a machine on a private network.  I am running NAT for the
> outbound traffic if that is a concern.  The reason I want to do this is so
> I can allow telnet traffic into a machine while still keeping the machine
> behind NAT.  If you can guide me to a resource (I have looked on cisco's
> site to no avail) it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> Cliff Friedel
>
> VPN is sponsored by SecurityFocus.COM

Try this command:

    ip nat inside source static tcp 10.1.1.1 23 A.B.C.D 23

where "10.1.1.1" is the private address of the host you want to allow telnet
access to (this is a dangerous thing, by the way), and "A.B.C.D" is the
registered address being routed to your 1604.  Assuming you have a version of
IOS with full NAT support, and that you have a permanently assigned IP address
from your ISP, this should do the trick.  If you're getting only a dynamic
address from your ISP, then there's no syntax in IOS to do what you want to do
(at least not yet).  Bummer.

HTH

Dana

Dana J. Dawson                         dana at interprise.com
Distinguished Principal Engineer       CCIE #1937
!NTERPRISE Networking Services         (612) 664-3364
U S WEST                               (612) 664-4779 (FAX)
600 Stinson Blvd., Suite 1S
Minneapolis  MN  55413-2620

"Hard is where the money is."