NAT and VPN

Adam P. Zimmerer adamz at ECONET.COM
Thu Feb 10 12:33:47 EST 2000

I have IPSec VPN Client software (SonicWALL) running on my laptop.  I can
VPN just fine into my client’s networks via my laptop which, while at my
home office, accesses the Internet via my LAN & DSL connection through a
Firewall/Router that is performing NAT for a single public IP.

Sincerely,
Adam P. Zimmerer
Economic Networks

Theresa
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2000 10:15 AM
To: VPN at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Subject: NAT and VPN

 We are piloting an IPSEC solution and have had issues with users that are
using NAT on their home networks.  Does anyone know if it is possible to use
Network Address Translation over any of the tunneling protocols - IPSEC,
L2F, PPTP, or L2TP?  Are there any known workarounds to make NAT work with
IPSEC?

Regards,
Theresa Brown
Dial Services