VPN from home

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at COSPO.OSIS.GOV
Wed Dec 27 19:07:08 EST 2000

On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 06:34:19PM -0800, Simon Wong wrote:
> Thank You for putting up this site!  However, I am still running into a
> problem.  Here is the situation.  I am trying to get my work laptop to
> connect into my work server via DSL connection.  I have VPN at work.  They
> currently use Altiga.
> I have DSL at home.   I have a single IP address assigned to me by my ISP.
> My computer has 2 NIC cards.   The DSL modem is connected to one card.  And
> the other is connected to a hub.  I would like to be able to connect my work
> laptop straight into the hub and have it run to my work server.  ...

With a single IP address, your dual-homed PC attached to your DSL box
has to be doing some kind of NAT - right?  Is it acting as a proxying
firewall?  In short, how are you connecting multiple computers to the
Internet via one IP address before introducing this laptop?

Is the dual-homed PC acting as a firewall or a gateway?  Does it let
all IP through without change?  [I doubt it.]

How does your laptop authenticate itself to your VPN?  I have no
knowledge of what Altiga does.

More information is needed, I think.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B