attaching to shares over a WAN using Cisco's VPN client

David Gillett dgillett at NIKU.COM
Tue Dec 12 16:09:41 EST 2000

  Are your clients' VPN addresses in the local LAN's space, or a separate
subnet?  If a separate subnet, do your routers know that the 3030 is the
gateway to that subnet?

David Gillett
Senior Network Engineer
(650) 701-2702
Niku Corp. "Transforming the Service Economy"

Monjar
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2000 6:07 AM
To: VPN at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Subject: attaching to shares over a WAN using Cisco's VPN client

disclaimers:  this is probably an NT issue and/or should go to Cisco

Having said that I'll give the list knowledge a shot.  I am using the
Cisco 3030 box with the 2.5 Cisco client.  when a remote client PC
connects they go through the network login properly and domain
authentication works.  They can attach to shares on the LAN on which
the VPN server sits.  THey can't attach to shares across the private
WAN to a remote NT server.  Locally attached clients, not VPN just a
PC attached to the local LAN, _can_ access the remote NT server.  It
is also claimed that the same remote client PC using our non-VPN
remote access, PPP to a router via a dialup server, can attach to
these remote shares.  The non-VPN remote access server is attached to
the same LAN segment as the Cisco device.

Any thoughts?
--
Daniel Monjar (mailto:dmonjar at orgtek.com)
   "If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush."