netscreen opinions..

Scott S cyanboy at YAHOO.COM
Thu Aug 24 21:25:45 EDT 2000

I am currently evaluating using netscreens to
replace the PIX firewalls I am using now as I
expand my vpn based WAN.

two things I have noticed so far is the virtual IP
internal/external ip mapping function seems a bit
limited. It seems I can only redirect certain
services, ssh is one that seems to be missing.
Is the alternative just to use the ip mapping
function and do access-lists?

Also, on the PIX one IP address is reserved for
doing PAT, the netscreen doesn't seem to have that
option.

Anyway, if anyone out there has real world experience
with these boxes I'd love to hear opinions about
them in terms of reliability, speed and other
little problems like the two I mentioned above.

	-Scott