@Home bans VPNS

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WITTSEND.COM
Thu Aug 24 19:33:09 EDT 2000

On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 09:36:08AM -0700, Bob Hammond wrote:
> In practice, how can they detect or prevent VPN users?  Doesn't it just look
> like IP traffic?

	Depends upon the VPN.  IPSec is protocol 50 so that's REAL easy
to spot.  PPTP is also real easy to spot.  If someone is doing SSL or
SSH tunnel based VPN's, that could be extremely difficult, but they're
not nearly as good for general purpose VPN's.

> Bob

	Counter point, filtering based on protocol types or content means
they no longer qualify for common carrier status.  Threaten to complain
to the FCC!

> FOAD, Comcast.

> Matt, ADSL and frame relay user
>
> --
> Matt Cramer <cramer at voicenet.com>
> http://www.voicenet.com/~cramer/
> Thou art God and I am God and all that groks is God,
> and I am all that I have ever been or seen or felt
> or experienced.
>      -Mike

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/