VPN - Broadband service providers limiting access for work purposes

Keith Young kyoung at V-ONE.COM
Tue Aug 22 10:32:32 EDT 2000

"Brown, Theresa" wrote:

> For those of you who have deployed VPN's in your companies, have you
> encountered issues with the Cable or DSL service providers limiting users
> access to personal use only?  I have seen several clauses from service
> provider contracts that have things like the one in the news flash below.
> What are your plans to address this issue?

The bigger problem is with providers who have NATting firewalls which
block anything but TCP/UDP/ICMP traffic, or with providers who install
their own network drivers to support their own network config (such as
with PPPoE - PPP over Ethernet) so that you can't install protocol
drivers like IPSEC.

My best guess (and I may be wrong ;-), but you are going to see VPN
vendors come up with solutions to "get around" the above problems, or
you'll see vendors which do have "workarounds" touting those features.

--
--Keith Young
-Director of Customer Care/Support, V-ONE Corp.
-kyoung at v-one.com