FR v DSL

Benoît Dubé bdube at LAROCHELLE-GRATTON.COM
Sun Aug 20 11:50:35 EDT 2000

Hi Frank,

The difference between FR & DSL.

FR:  FR is only a layer 2 protocol used to make a connection between to
host, then it's not possible to use pure FR for WAN connection with multi
host. FR is only present over the local loop, between your customer and the
central office.  The telco are converting FR protocol to a WAN protocol to
be transportable, generally, they used ATM for that.  The mapping & the
bandwith allocation is entirely controlled by the telco.  With FR, you
generally have a minimum bandwith guaranteed.  Then when you leased a FR
service, you know exactly what you have.

DSL:  DSL is only a layer 1 protocol and it's purely used as point to point
connection in a local area.  Over DSL, you may run FR, ATM or Ethernet and
over them IP.  When you talk about DSL, you need to know which layer 2 & 3
protocol are used.  OK, generally, it's an ethernet connection(L2) with IP
protocol(L3).  Fine, now what kind of IP service are you subscribing, a
basic IP transport as offer by any ISP or an IP "business class" service as
offer by some majors telcos.  Of course, a "business class" is equivalent to
a dedicated connection with full guarantee and the basic IP connection
isn't.

As you can see, you must not remove the FR services for a basic IP services
if your customer need a minimum a guarantee.  If your customer is searching
for a cheaper service without any guarantee, you can recommend basic IP
service.

To select the best service for your customer, you must know perfectly your
customer's needs.

This message is just a starting point.

Benoit Dube
Larochelle Gratton