Comparison between VPN solutions

Jose Muniz MuniX-1 at PACBELL.NET
Sat Aug 19 04:24:54 EDT 2000

Here is my .02 cents!!

 - VPN-1, Checkpoint Software
   Support      Bad
   Licenceing   it will kill you!!!
   Performance  bad
   Setup  Aren't you bussy at work?

I find it to be time consumming, poor performance, Nokia
HA with the VRRP monitor circuit HA, is broken!
the licensing is probably the worst I could ever
Imagine.
It is good if you like to click your mouse a lot.

 - Cisco Systems
   Suport       Excelent
   Licencing    Good
   Performance  bad
   Setup        Cisco CLI

Cisco IOS, you got it you love it and it works all right,
performace is not very good, even with lots of ram.
Get something else they got tooo much money!!! Yes big ones$$$

 - LanRover VPN, Shiva
   Better than Checkpoint and much faster.
   Support is good
   The main developer, she is quite a nice person.

You know the shiva products, this is the kind that fits
the Fortune One Million in corporate America, the small medium office.
Home networks... [Depends how geeky you are]

 - Contivity Extranet Switch, Nortel Networks
   [Can someone fill in this one for me?}

 - F-Secure VPN +, F-Secure
   Support      Good
   Licencing    Very fear for what you get
   Performance  Fastest sofware based VPN
   Setup        Interestingly nice concept

This is probably the most flexible VPN, it does not matter how bad the
war zone looks like the NAT and other nifty features pay off.

Would any of these will be the one that I will choose....
Mmmmmm...   Nope!

Jose