Closing unused ports in NT

John Wheatley jwheatley at SWCP.COM
Fri Aug 4 11:26:20 EDT 2000

I use Steve Gibson's port probe at www.grc.com for checking port status on
public IP machines.  On a typical NT machine, the port probe shows numerous
ports as existing but closed.  The ports report as existing even if the
corresponding service has been removed from NT.  Specific ports are
21,23,25,79,80,110,113,139,143,443.  For example, I removed NetBIOS
services using Control Panel, Network, Services; but the NetBIOS port 139
still answers probes as closed.  I want to have NO Response to unused port
probes- is there a way?
Help, suggestions, and comments are sure welcome.
JohnW

John Wheatley
505-292-4367 Voice
505-292-4387 Fax