Questions on ESP Null setting

Robert Moskowitz rgm at ICSA.NET
Wed Aug 2 20:46:36 EDT 2000

At 05:35 PM 8/2/2000 -0400, Matthew Harding wrote:

>Can someone give me a simple explanation of what the ESP Null setting is
>in IPSec? Does this refer to authentication only, or is it using IPSec
>with no encryption?
>
>A reference to the relevant RFC or technical literature would be most
>welcome.

Since this 'algorithm' happened during my 'watch' in the IPsec wg...

2410 The NULL Encryption Algorithm and Its Use With IPsec. R. Glenn,
      S. Kent. November 1998. (Format: TXT=11239 bytes) (Status: PROPOSED
      STANDARD)

This is used in ESP to get authentication of the data (as opposed to AH)
without encryption.

Please read the RFC.

You might actually enjoy it   :)

Robert Moskowitz
ICSA.net
	(248) 968-9809
Fax:	(248) 968-2824
rgm at icsa.net

There's no limit to what can be accomplished
if it doesn't matter who gets the credit