128 bit PPTP Encryption and NAT

Pete Davis pete at ETHER.NET
Tue Aug 1 16:46:45 EDT 2000

You can use PPTP sessions from behind a NAT (PAT) device as long as it supports
GRE PAT, which most devices do not. Many small devices do have this support
and Linux does with a special patch from John Hardin. You will only be able
to use 1 PPTP session at a time from behind this NAT device to a specific
central site Concentrator at a time.

Regards,

pete

On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 05:59:27PM -0700, Michael Medwid wrote:
> Should there be any incompatibility between 128 bit PPTP encryption
> and users behind a NATted environment?  My Altiga (Cisco 3030) seems to kick
> off the tunnels if they were originated from a NATted environment.  Cisco
> TAC didn't have too much to say on the whole thing other than "uh yeah that
> won't work."  Thanks for any insight.
>
> -Michael
>
> VPN is sponsored by SecurityFocus.COM

---
     Pete Davis - Product Manager <psd at cisco.com>  (508) 541-7300 x6154
   Cisco Systems, Inc.  - 124 Grove Street Suite 205   Franklin, MA 02038