Looking for a push in the right direction with my VPN.... (fwd)

Tina Bird tbird at PRECISION-GUESSWORK.COM
Tue Aug 1 14:16:26 EDT 2000

Hi all -- Any help with Tobin's problem greatly
appreciated...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 14:20:45 -0400
From: Tobin Craig <tcraig at Swales.com>
To: tbird at precision-guesswork.com
Subject: Looking for a push in the right direction with my VPN....

Hi Tina,

I'm wrestling with a fledgling VPN configuration on my network, and I hope
you can help.

We are experiencing a performance drop every time we try to use our VPN.  To
illustrate this, we moved an 82 MB file directly over our LAN, taking 30
seconds.  By connecting to our VPN server, again over the LAN, and moving
the same file, the process took 5 minutes 30 seconds.  Dialing into an
independent ISP and then establishing the VPN connection took even longer.

Our VPN server is running NT, SP6, and Microsoft PPTP protocol.  We are
connecting to it via a Pentium 450 Laptop running NT, SP 6, using RAS.  We
have checked the processor loads on both machines, neither one is breaking a
sweat during the copy process.

Our VPN server is on its own node on our Checkpoint firewall.  All traffic
destined for it passes through the firewall, is sent to the VPN server, is
passed back through the firewall, and then is sent to its destination again.
We have determined that the firewall is not posing a problem, since the
performance degradation is consistent if the traffic is generated from
within or from outside the firewall.

Do you have any suggestions about what I can do to improve the performance
of this arrangement?  It is currently giving us the same level of
performance as our 28.8 modems!

Thanks for any help or advice you might have,

Tobin Craig

Network Security Administrator
Swales Aerospace
Beltsville, MD