Personal firewall Products (Zone Alert)

Jon Carnes jonc at HAHT.COM
Thu Apr 20 09:58:56 EDT 2000

Personal firewall ProductsSorry, It's "Zone Alarm" that I meant.  I didn't follow up with a correction as someone else mentioned it...
http://www.zonelabs.com/

The product is really good, I use it at home.  In the beginning it was a pain, because it was constantly throwing up warnings and asking if it should block this or that.  But after a day or two of that you hardly ever see the pop-ups again.

A couple of interesting things (and some Kudos):
 - It alerted me to some marketing bots that were running as add-ons inside my IE browser that were regularly reporting on my internet usage.  I blocked those with Zone Alarm, and then sent off some nasty letters.
 - Though I found the on-going pop-ups annoying for awhile, they make the setup very easy even for the lowest tech user.  A lot of our folks use it on their home machines and they all seem to be able to handle the setup with ease.
 - To get it to work with VPN software, you will need to go into Security settings and press the Advanced button.  Add your VPN router as a trusted machine (or just add your entire external network presence), then add your internal IP ranges as trusted networks.

Hope this helps make up for my Alarm/Alert slip...

Jon Carnes
MIS - HAHT Software
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Joe M. Myrick
  To: VPN at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
  Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2000 10:24 AM
  Subject: Re: Personal firewall Products (Zone Alert)

  Jon-

  Where can you download Zone Alert?

  TIA, Joe...
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Jon Carnes [mailto:jonc at HAHT.COM]
    Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2000 10:35 PM
    To: VPN at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
    Subject: Re: Personal firewall Products

    Zone Alert (which I'm using right now) is free and works quite well as a personal firewall.

    I also recommend the hottest new product from Linksys.  Their cable modem/DSL router/Switch costs about $160 and is a true wonder.  It does basic firewalling/NAT and acts as a DHCP server for internal boxes.  It supports up to 250 internal boxes.  The router is also a 10/100Mb ethernet switch which has 4 internal connections and 1 WAN connection.  We've put a few of these at some of our trouble sites.  They are plug-in and Go!  I just can't say enough good things about them.

    Jon Carnes
    MIS - HAHT Software