AW: Personal firewall Products

Kurt A. Freiberger wb5bbw at AIRMAIL.NET
Thu Apr 20 12:00:16 EDT 2000

At 08:31 AM 20-04-00 +0200, you wrote:
>As someone mentioned Back Ice is a IDS. Sofaware is a spin-off company from
>Check Point (Firewall-1), they are looking to bring their state inspection
>engine onto DSL modems, right now it is just the web site. You might want to
>check Signal 9 (www.signal9.com), they have a pretty good low cost personal
>firewall called ConSeal. I tested it out last December and set it up at a
>customer, it was pretty good value for the money and works well. I noticed
>Signal 9 has been now taken over by McAfee, time will tell if this is good
>or bad.

My experience tells me it's bad.  They've integrated it into their McAfee
Clinic, and it is no longer a product.  It is a "service".  You have to
install it to the target machine over the Internet, and the machine has to
be able to access the McAfee website at all times.  This means you give
maintenance control of your PC to McAfee., so they can update and configure
it. Yeah, like I'm gonna do THAT!  It is not available separately.

Another good product down the tubes...

Cheers,
Kurt
---
Kurt Freiberger, WB5BBW  Network Environmentalist  Austin, TX
See my offspring at http://www.realtime.net/~nancy2 - She's cute!
Consider this - The New Millenium begins on a Monday.