Personal firewall Products

Jeffery Eric Contr 95 CS/SCBA eric.jeffery at EDWARDS.AF.MIL
Wed Apr 19 10:59:30 EDT 2000

I use ATGuard by WRQ.  It was recently purchased by Symantec and is in their
Internet Security 2000 package.  Another good one is Conseal PC.  Info Sec
Magazine just gave Conseal it's Editors Choice.  Go to McAfee to get
information on Conseal, apparently they were bought up to compete with
Symantec.

I've used Black Ice but it wasn't that great.  It wasn't customizable and it
is more for Intrusion Detection than for Firewalling.  As for Zone Alarm (
http://www.zonelabs.com <http://www.zonelabs.com> ) it is good; however, the
version I have isn't customizable.  It is really geared for DSL connections
because there is a setting that allows you to LOCK your system, basically
shutting off the DSL link.

You can also check out Newsgroups on Firewalls (I think
comp.security.firewalls is one).  There are regular discussions on this
topic.

Eric Jeffery, MCSE
Network Systems Analyst