VPN WAN

Ryan Russell ryan at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Wed Apr 12 16:15:52 EDT 2000

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Neil Ratzlaff wrote:

> This NT WAN is not a replacement for anything, it will be totally new.

I should have used the word "alternative"... it's an alternative to buying
a frame WAN.

> As
> near as I can tell, the different offices plan to use the Cisco VPN only
> for communication between the various NT servers, but not for anything
> else.  I interpreted this to mean any other internet access is unrestricted
> and would go direct, not through the WAN.  I assume Cisco can apply VPN
> based on specified destination IP addresses and ignore anything else.

Then you're screwed.  The remote sites (presumably) don't have a firewall
and/or don't know how to administer one.  When they get broken into, the
attacker has a clear path to all the other sites on your VPN WAN.

> This whole idea wouldn't bother me as much if I could keep it all outside
> my firewall, but I doubt I can manage that.  The VPN on my end would
> terminate just outside the firewall, so at least it isn't a tunnel through
> that.  I could put any NT systems here on a DMZ and block the M$ service
> ports, but I think that means no one here could pretend all those disks and
> printers out there are local on their machines, which appears to be the
> point of all this.

That makes no sense... If you're going to block the VPN w/the firewall,
why put it in in the first place?  I presume you mean you're going to
firewall everything except NBT?  First off.. if you fail to block even
that (and I don't mean *you're* at fault... I mean stupid management
making you do stupid things) then there will be a neverending cycle
of: "now allow HTTP, now allow telnet", etc..  Second, NBT is a *huge*
hole.  I could do anything I wanted to a network by exploiting a NBT
trust.  Not to mention that NBT is damn hard to firewall.

> If someone can point me to a URL that explains why this is bad, I would
> appreciate it.  I also welcome examples of the risks.  For instance, what
> problems can occur when a user in one place mounts a remote disk on a
> compromised machine as local?

It's such a fundamentally flawed (insecure) architecture, that I don't
know you'll find any specific papers... it's like asking for info on why
not having a firewall is bad.

> I doubt that any of the sites involved (except mine) have any type of
> network security now, so they really don't care about it yet.

All the more reason to keep them off your net.

Sorry to take such a strong tone.. this is one of those things that if
it's allowed, you might as well give up any security efforts.

					Ryan