VPN WAN

Neil Ratzlaff neil.ratzlaff at UCOP.EDU
Wed Apr 12 15:36:58 EDT 2000

This NT WAN is not a replacement for anything, it will be totally new.  As
near as I can tell, the different offices plan to use the Cisco VPN only
for communication between the various NT servers, but not for anything
else.  I interpreted this to mean any other internet access is unrestricted
and would go direct, not through the WAN.  I assume Cisco can apply VPN
based on specified destination IP addresses and ignore anything else.

This whole idea wouldn't bother me as much if I could keep it all outside
my firewall, but I doubt I can manage that.  The VPN on my end would
terminate just outside the firewall, so at least it isn't a tunnel through
that.  I could put any NT systems here on a DMZ and block the M$ service
ports, but I think that means no one here could pretend all those disks and
printers out there are local on their machines, which appears to be the
point of all this.

If someone can point me to a URL that explains why this is bad, I would
appreciate it.  I also welcome examples of the risks.  For instance, what
problems can occur when a user in one place mounts a remote disk on a
compromised machine as local?

I doubt that any of the sites involved (except mine) have any type of
network security now, so they really don't care about it yet.

Thanks,
Neil