Does AH work with NT

Ryan Russell ryan at SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Fri Apr 7 13:14:10 EDT 2000

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Matthew Harding wrote:

> A customer had a question: does AH work with NAT? If I have a client
> connecting IPSec through a NAT translated firewall, can you use AH as
> well as ESP or will the NAT translation of the original client IP
> disallow AH from authenticating properly once it hits the switch?

In general, yes NAT will break it.  There are provisions in the various
IPSec drafts (sorry, I don't follow it all that closely) that provide for
a single IPSec by proxy type of device, intended probably to be a firewall
acting on behalf of an inside machine.  So, theoretically, you could build
some sort of cooperating NAT that would work with AH.

					Ryan