Follow up to ATM and VPN's

Bennett Todd bet at RAHUL.NET
Wed Apr 5 14:21:13 EDT 2000

2000-04-05-14:15:00 Jeffery Eric Contr 95 CS/SCBA:
> The discussion sort of wandered after my initial question.  What
> I gleaned from it is this: if you trust Sprint or whoever the ATM
> provider is then "VPN" technology is not that big of a deal.

Fair summation.

> So, again, what is the purpose of having a VPN over ATM?

Some of us don't trust Sprint or whoever. Don't trust them to be
purely free of malicious employees. Don't trust them to never, ever
commit a config error that might leak some data we'd rather not
leak. Don't trust them to yeild to pressure from other organizations
demanding that they be allowed to snoop all traffic passing through
the whole infrastructure. Don't trust.

If VPN is free, or nearly so, then why not refrain from trusting?

-Bennett