Follow up to ATM and VPN's

Jeffery Eric Contr 95 CS/SCBA eric.jeffery at EDWARDS.AF.MIL
Wed Apr 5 14:15:00 EDT 2000

The discussion sort of wandered after my initial question.  What I gleaned
from it is this:  if you trust Sprint or whoever the ATM provider is then
"VPN" technology is not that big of a deal.

My question to all of this is as follows, too many people think a VPN IS
Encryption when it is only a part of it.  How does the authentication
portion of VPN play a role?  If I am concerned about security by my provider
why don't I just use some KG Encryptors (TACLANE/FASTLANE) and send the data
that way?

Again, VPN in my estimation, is an IP term for an IP environment.
Encryption is not a VPN, it is a part of a VPN.  So, again, what is the
purpose of having a VPN over ATM?

Eric Jeffery, MCSE
Network Systems Analyst
TYBRIN Corp.