Nortel VPN Solution

S Ramakrishnan rk_ at mailcity.com
Thu Sep 16 14:41:28 EDT 1999

Hi -

Thanks for the useful info.
Can I get a prototype or at least
a set of screen shots to see
how they manage it?

Does the GUI manage the client or the
gateway ? How about CA management
(CA traffic tracking, certificate footprint
in memiry and so forth).

Does it manage L2TP tunnels?
Do they have an L2TP client?

Is it instrumented by SNMP? If so
what versions of the IPSEC nad L2TP
MIB are used?

Thanks !

Rk

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:47:52   Michael Medwid wrote:

>When it works (most of the time) it works great.  Nice GUI for managing the VPN
>and
>lots of useful reports.  Performance-wise it does very well.  We use IP sec for
>client to
>LAN from DSL, Cable modem etc.  I have users in Kuala Lomport, Russia, Poland,
>Hungary, Venezuela (to name a few) using IPsec over local dialup Internet
>connection
>as well.  And this is a life-saver as International calls for messaging and file
>transfer
>get hecka costly.  For most of my users they wax enthusiastic.  BUT...
>
>their client has installation problems in about 5% of PCs - be they NT or 95 or
>98.
>Sometimes it causes clients to boot up to blue screen, sometimes they have
>to remove all network drivers, sometimes they have to completely rebuild
>their system.  Nortel (Bay) has been painfully slow in getting out bug fixes to
>resolve the client.  Also note that they do NOT have a Windows 2000 compatible
>client.  This is a real bug-bear for my developers working with the Win 2000
>beta and attempting to develop product.
>
>-Michael Medwid
>Symantec Corp.

---
S Ramakrishnan
"... from the sunny shores of California ..."
rk_ at mailcity.com, (408) 616.3100

The VPN FAQ (under construction) is available at
http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/FAQ.html

We are currently experiencing "unsubscribe" difficulties.  If you
wish to unsubscribe, please send a message containing the single line
"unsubscribe vpn your-e-mail-address" to owner-vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com