Nortel VPN Solution

Michael Medwid mmedwid at symantec.com
Thu Sep 16 13:47:52 EDT 1999

When it works (most of the time) it works great.  Nice GUI for managing the VPN
and
lots of useful reports.  Performance-wise it does very well.  We use IP sec for
client to
LAN from DSL, Cable modem etc.  I have users in Kuala Lomport, Russia, Poland,
Hungary, Venezuela (to name a few) using IPsec over local dialup Internet
connection
as well.  And this is a life-saver as International calls for messaging and file
transfer
get hecka costly.  For most of my users they wax enthusiastic.  BUT...

their client has installation problems in about 5% of PCs - be they NT or 95 or
98.
Sometimes it causes clients to boot up to blue screen, sometimes they have
to remove all network drivers, sometimes they have to completely rebuild
their system.  Nortel (Bay) has been painfully slow in getting out bug fixes to
resolve the client.  Also note that they do NOT have a Windows 2000 compatible
client.  This is a real bug-bear for my developers working with the Win 2000
beta and attempting to develop product.

-Michael Medwid
Symantec Corp.

"John Smith" <chomsky at dor.state.ma.us> on 09/16/99 08:40:11 AM