VPN vs SSL

fishin fishin11 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 21:05:22 EDT 1999

Hello,

I work at a fortune 500 company where we receive many
request to connect our network with business partners
over the Internet.  We have both VPN's and SSL
connections.  What I'm looking for is a trade-off
matrix (I'll be creating one probably) that will
include when you use VPN or SSL and why.  I realize
that VPN's will encrypt all traffic while SSL will
take care of HTTP application traffic.  I also know
that SSL is easier is to implement because everyone
has browsers today.  I know that VPN's seem to have
better authentication (assuming we don't use certs
with SSL), but again our HTTP users want to use
SSLbecause its easier.

I also understand once IPSec clients are provided on
each desktop (Windows 2000 for example) that VPN's
will probably become even easier to deploy from
aclient standpoint.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,Doug

The VPN FAQ (under construction) is available at
http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/FAQ.html

We are currently experiencing "unsubscribe" difficulties.  If you
wish to unsubscribe, please send a message containing the single line
"unsubscribe vpn your-e-mail-address" to owner-vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com