Firewall @ remote location

Laurent Hebert lhebert at netesys.com
Thu Oct 28 09:25:20 EDT 1999

The answer is yes.  A hacker can use tools to access that PC and retreive
the informations needed (including crypto keys and user P/W) to used them
to login to your site (ex. Back Orifice 2000).  My recommendation would be
to install a personnal PC F/W (ex. Conseal PC F/W) on that PC in
conjunction with the VPN S/W Client.  Make sure that when that PC is
connected to your site (via VPN) that he does not have access to surf the
Net at the same time.  This is to avoid the possibility that a hacker can
use that path to remotly control that PC and access your site.

Ideally, you should also consider the use of a Tolen based system (ex.
Security Dynamics) to ensure that you really communicate with your rep.

Laurent
Network Consultant,
Netesys