Firewall @ remote location

Danilo Dessi ddessi at ibm.net
Tue Oct 26 19:17:25 EDT 1999

I am planning a "VPN" to connect a bank's head office with a small rep. office.  My question regards firewalls.  Since there will only be one computer at the rep office it is very hard to justify a firewall which can cost more than the computer.  The rep office will have a DSL connection to the Internet. I would like to know if there are other considerations other than the fact that the line is always up why I should have a firewall at the remote location.  In other words is there more risk (exposure to hackers) at the rep office compared with a telecommuter who dials up from a  remote connection and then hangs-up when he/she is finished working?  Can a hacker actually gain access to the head office LAN by comprimising the computer located at the rep. office?

Thank you to all replies,

Danilo