VPN for secure access the MS Exchange server

Sandy Green sand232 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 25 13:17:09 EDT 1999

well, i am a firewall guy and i do not hate GRE. I
mean
why should one hate GRE. I have implemented PPTP
to traverse through a firewall and yup it needs a rule
to allow GRE. i did not find any reason to dislike or
be
averse to GRE. I would appreciate if one could let me
know the pros/cons of GRE .....

and what is PPTP over IPSEC ? can someone let me
know of such a cofiguration ? (network diag
appreciated)

thanks all
sandy

--- Art Laramee <alaramee at mitre.org> wrote:
> It's fine for you to say that but who the hell else
> has implemented PPTP
> and what about the fact tht firewall guys hate GRE?
>
> jason.dowd at us.pwcglobal.com wrote:
> >
> > PPTP is a great protocol, and there is nothing
> inherently insecure about
> > it, only about Microsoft's implementation.
> >
> > My Nirvana of remote access VPNs is running PPTP,
> or eventually L2TP, over
> > IPSec. You get the flexible configuration options,
> as well as extended
> > authentication support, of PPTP and the security
> of IPSec.
> >
> > I do not have time to address what PPTP really is
> right now, but I wanted
> > to add my two cents that PPTP is not inherently
> evil.
> >
> > Jason
> >
> > Helmut Heller <hheller at gmx.de> on 10/19/99
> 02:45:38 PM
> >
> > Please respond to hheller at gmx.de
> > To:   Dan Schlitt <schlitt at world.std.com>
> > cc:   vpn list <vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com>
> > Subject:  Re: VPN for secure access the MS
> Exchange server

040b73747265616d747970656481a203840163c4840373737381dadb8107078116168401258
> > 4067f411b312d36 You wrote: > We are in general
> agreement that PPTP is not
> > adequate
> > Could you please explain what PPTP is? And why it
> is not good (whatever it
> > is)?
> > Thanks! Helmut
> >
> > ---
> > Servus, Helmut  (DH0MAD)              ___________
> NeXT-mail welcome
> > ________________
> > FAX: +49-8671-881665                      "
> Knowledge must be gathered and
> > cannot be given "
> > hheller at gmx.de
>                ZEN, one
> > of BLAKES7
> > Phone: +49-8671-881665

> > Dr. Helmut Heller, M^Áhldorfer Str. 72, 84503
> Alt^Ôtting, GERMANY

> single line "unsubscribe
> > vpn your-e-mail-address" to
> owner-vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com

> > The information transmitted is intended only for
> the person or entity to
> > which it is addressed and may contain confidential
> and/or privileged
> > material.  Any review, retransmission,
> dissemination or other use of, or
> > taking of any action in reliance upon, this
> information by persons or
> > entities other than the intended recipient is
> prohibited.   If you received
> > this in error, please contact the sender and
> delete the material from any
> > computer.

> difficulties.  If you
> wish to unsubscribe, please send a message
> containing the single line
> "unsubscribe vpn your-e-mail-address" to
> owner-vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com

The VPN FAQ (under construction) is available at
http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/vpn/FAQ.html

We are currently experiencing "unsubscribe" difficulties.  If you
wish to unsubscribe, please send a message containing the single line
"unsubscribe vpn your-e-mail-address" to owner-vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com