Firewall and VPN Device

David Goldsmith dgoldsmi at erols.com
Mon Oct 25 10:09:25 EDT 1999

Of those two, I would say the second where the VPN device is inside the
firewall.
The firewall would have to allow external access to the VPN device for IP
protocols 50 and 51 (AH/ESP) and UDP port 500 (IKE).

If you used the first, then all of your "secure" traffic would now be open
and have to be filtered by the firewall.

A third solution that is common is a parallel implementation. The firewall
filters all unsecure traffic but the secure traffic is allowed to bypass it.

R/S

Dave Goldsmith
dgoldsmi at erols.com