VPN for secure access the MS Exchange server

Kelly Robertson kelly.robertson at iprg.nokia.com
Sun Oct 24 13:32:56 EDT 1999

Jason,

I'd like to know why "firewall guys hate GRE", please. If you have a minute...

Kelly.robertson at irpg.nokia.com

>Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 07:21:23 -0400
>From: Art Laramee <alaramee at mitre.org>
>To: jason.dowd at us.pwcglobal.com
>CC: vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com
>Subject: Re: VPN for secure access the MS Exchange server
>Sender: owner-vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com
>
>It's fine for you to say that but who the hell else has implemented PPTP
>and what about the fact tht firewall guys hate GRE?
>
>jason.dowd at us.pwcglobal.com wrote:
>>
>> PPTP is a great protocol, and there is nothing inherently insecure about
>> it, only about Microsoft's implementation.
>>
>> My Nirvana of remote access VPNs is running PPTP, or eventually L2TP, over
>> IPSec. You get the flexible configuration options, as well as extended
>> authentication support, of PPTP and the security of IPSec.
>>
>> I do not have time to address what PPTP really is right now, but I wanted
>> to add my two cents that PPTP is not inherently evil.
>>
>> Jason
>>
>> Helmut Heller <hheller at gmx.de> on 10/19/99 02:45:38 PM
>>
>> Please respond to hheller at gmx.de
>> To:   Dan Schlitt <schlitt at world.std.com>
>> cc:   vpn list <vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com>
>> Subject:  Re: VPN for secure access the MS Exchange server
>>
>>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> 040b73747265616d747970656481a203840163c4840373737381dadb8107078116168401258
>> 4067f411b312d36 You wrote: > We are in general agreement that PPTP is not
>> adequate
>> Could you please explain what PPTP is? And why it is not good (whatever it
>> is)?
>> Thanks! Helmut
>>
>> ---
>> Servus, Helmut  (DH0MAD)              ___________ NeXT-mail welcome
>> ________________
>> FAX: +49-8671-881665                      " Knowledge must be gathered and
>> cannot be given "
>> hheller at gmx.de                                                    ZEN, one
>> of BLAKES7
>> Phone: +49-8671-881665

>> The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
>> which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged
>> material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
>> taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
>> entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.   If you received
>> this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any
>> computer.

The VPN FAQ (under construction) is available at
http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/vpn/FAQ.html

We are currently experiencing "unsubscribe" difficulties.  If you
wish to unsubscribe, please send a message containing the single line
"unsubscribe vpn your-e-mail-address" to owner-vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com