PPTP and Cisco

Cynthia Tercero cynthia at xerox.com.ni
Wed Oct 13 12:34:20 EDT 1999

Hi,

I'm trying to configure a communication to a VPN using PPTP, I'm a client
of the system. But, we have a firewall configure through Access-list in
our Cisco router.

We've added an entry to permit tcp from any host to our subnet at port
261, 1747 and 47. But when the system is trying to pass the username and
password to the VPN at Cisco terminal monitor appears something like this:

list 333 denied 47 tcp xxx.xxx.xxx.xx -> xxx.xx.xx.xx, 22 packets

Does any body which one could be the cause of this message?.

At the Microsoft site appears the following paragraph but I really don't
know how to configure the IP protocol in order to use ID 47 and don't know
if the above message has some relation with this issue.

"Using PPTP with Firewalls and Routers
PPTP traffic uses TCP port 1723, and IP protocol uses ID 47, as assigned
by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA). PPTP can be used with
most firewalls and routers by enabling traffic destined for port 1723 to
be routed through the firewall or router."

Thank you for your answers!.

Cynthia

The VPN FAQ (under construction) is available at
http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/vpn/FAQ.html

We are currently experiencing "unsubscribe" difficulties.  If you
wish to unsubscribe, please send a message containing the single line
"unsubscribe vpn your-e-mail-address" to owner-vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com