Two choices for VPN.

Davis, Peter pdavis at altiga.com
Tue Nov 23 12:09:19 EST 1999

Frank,

Your best bet is to check out www.vpnc.org <http://www.vpnc.org>  in
addition to other resources you have looked at. You will see a list of many
vendors who are also working to cooperatively test interoperability. There
are atleast 2 or 3 vendors that focus on low-end VPN solutions.

Deciding whether you should go for a managed VPN service or for one that you
control yourself is really up to how comfortable you feel with delegating
network security to a third party. In addition, $250/mt is a significant
price to pay for a low-end solution. You will find that there are many
different ways that solutions are priced including some that include an
unlimited client license and others that charge a per client fee.

Hi...  I would like to ask the question below (shortened to make the reading
quicker) again as I received only one posted reply (thank you Eric
Henriksen).  If it's not good manners to post the same question again,
please feel free to delete it moderator.

I read comments earlier that the FlowPoint VPN is very weak.  I understand
security is important and worth spending on, but does higher cost always
mean better product?

Frank

I have a client looking into setting up a VPN (from 1 or 2 homes to the
office) once they get their Verio DSL line installed.  Two options they were
presented with for VPN are:

SafeNet.
Offered and recommended by Verio. Apparently a high quality VPN solution in
that it offers data level
encryption through the use of a hardware box attached to the DSL router,
plus a software client that runs on the remote PC. They also offer 24/7/365
customer support. Verio offers the VPN hardware for $250/mo, plus a $15/mo
license for EACH remote user. SafeNet  www.ire.com <http://www.ire.com/> .

FlowPoint.
Flowpoint offers for a one-time charge of $199 a software product called
"FlowPoint Secure VPN" for the FlowPoint 2200.
Flowpoint  www.flowpoint.com <http://www.flowpoint.com/> .

Any feedback on these two options would be greatly appreciated.  Or is there
something better that should be used independently of what the ISP offers?
Would something independent make support issues tougher if the ISP is not
familiar with the product?

Frank

The VPN FAQ (under construction) is available at
http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/vpn/FAQ.html

We are currently experiencing "unsubscribe" difficulties.  If you
wish to unsubscribe, please send a message containing the single line
"unsubscribe vpn your-e-mail-address" to owner-vpn at listserv.secnetgroup.com